These women were chosen from a large number of nominees from across the state and from all areas of the law — big law firms and small, as well as those in public service.
As part of the group that had the opportunity to peruse all of the submissions, I must say I am again amazed and the breadth and depth of talent Michigan’s women lawyers bring to the table each and every day.
It was difficult to choose only 20 out of so many submissions, but that was our task and we have made our choices.
Given the high caliber of nominations, our selections are truly the cream of the crop in Michigan’s legal profession.
This isn’t just about being a success in your firm, but a balance that includes giving back to the profession, giving back to the community and also having some semblance of a real life, too. Because that’s what it’s all about isn’t it — balance?
These honorees have shown all these traits in abundance, and deserve to be singled out as exemplary examples of what is so great about the profession.
We will publish a special section with bios of each — so you can see what makes them tick — on Sept. 10.
Michigan Lawyers Weekly will host a luncheon at noon Sept. 27 at the Detroit Marriott Troy to honor these women, so you can celebrate their accomplishments. It is there where we’ll also announce our Woman of the Year.
And without further ado, here are the 2012 Michigan Lawyers Weekly Women in the Law:
• Hon. Louise Alderson — 54A District Court
• Hon. Susan Dobrich — Cass County Probate Court
• Audrey Forbush — Plunkett Cooney PC
• Julie Gafkay — Gafkay & Gardner PLC
• Denise Glassmeyer — Young Basile Hanlon & MacFarlane PC
• Cynthia Haffey — Butzel Long
• Hon. Marilyn Kelly — Michigan Supreme Court
• Monica Labe — Dickinson Wright PLLC
• Marilyn Lankfer — Varnum LLP
• Marla Linderman — Linderman Law PC
• Anna Maiuri — Miller, Canfield, Paddock and Stone PLC
• Cary McGehee — Pitt, McGehee, Palmer, Rivers & Golden PC
• Valerie Newman — State Appellate Defender Office
• Rosalind Rochkind — Garan Lucow Miller PC
• Carol Rosati — Johnson, Rosati, Schultz, & Joppich PC
• Sangeeta Shah — Brooks Kushman PC
• Amy Timmer — The Thomas M. Cooley Law School
• Ann Marie Uetz — Foley & Lardner LLP
• Rebecca Walsh — Reiter & Walsh PC
• Linda Wasserman — Honigman Miller Schwartz and Cohn LLP